To Make Fish Biryani South Indian
500 g – skinned cod or any white fish
½ – tbsn oil
3 tbsns – sunflower oil
2 tbsns – lemon juice
75 g – green onions
1 – teaspoon ground anise
A pinch of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1½ teaspoons garlic paste, or 1 clove garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon ginger paste, or very finely chopped ginger
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
Salt and pepper
500 grms – basmati rice
2 – bay leaves, torn in half
10 – cinnamon stick
20 grms – butter
3 tbps – fresh coriander
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut the fillets into 5 cubes and put them in a shallow dish. Add the marinade and mix them gently together, coating the fish completely.
- Cover with cling film and leave in a cool place for 1 hours, or overnight in the refrigerator. Bring the fish back to room temperature before you start cooking it.
- Brush it with oil. Arrange the fish in the tawa in a single layer.
- Strain the marinade, reserving the green onions, and spoon it over the fish. Grill for 6-7 minutes until the edges of the fish begin to brown. Then turn off and put the fish in the foil, covering it loosely to keep it warm.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain the rice. Bring 600 ml (1 pint) of water to the boil in a saucepan and add the bay leaves, cinnamon, butter and salt to taste. Add the rice and return to the boil for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 8 minutes until all the water has been absorbed: it will not be completely cooked. Take the pan off the heat and leave it, uncovered, for 4 minutes.
- Unwrap the fish, pour the cooking juices into the rice and stir them through. Place a few pieces of fish and the reserved spring onions in a single layer in the base of a casserole, leaving small gaps between the fish. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and cover with a layer of rice. Continue alternating layers of fish, coriander and rice, finishing with rice.
- Soak a clean tea towel in water and bring it out. Place it over the rice, then cover the casserole with a tight-fitting lid. If it is not tight, cover the dish with a piece of foil first, then with the lid. Bake for 30 – 35 minutes so the rice finishes cooking in the steam and all the flavours develop.
- Garnish with coriander and serve and enjoy.