To Make Mumbai Vegetable Biryani:
- 3 tbsps Oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- ½ cup of green capsicum pieces
- ½ cup of red capsicum pieces
- ½ cup of carrot cubed
- ½ cup of potatos cubed
- ½ cup of cauliflower florets
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 onion (paste)
- 3 green chilies (adjust as per your taste)
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp garam masala pow
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 35 to 45 ml thick Curd
- 10 Cashews + 2 tbsps.
- Tomato puree (2 medium sized tomatoes)
- 20 mint leaves (crush and extract the juice)
- Few strands of saffron soaked in 1 tbsp milk
Ingredients & Spices for rice:
- 2 ½ cups of water (adjust as per your rice, I use india gate or Kohinoor and this amount of water works fine for me)
- 1 ½ cups Basmathi rice (or any long grain rice) (soaked for 30 mins)
- 1 tbsp oil (keeps the rice nonsticky)
- ½ cup green peas
- 2” cinnamon sticks
- 6 cloves
- 4 cardamom
- 1 bay leaf
1. Bring 2 ½ cups of water to boil and add salt & all the ingredients under rice category and green peas.
2. When the rice is fully cooked off the flame . if the water is not enough to cook rice, can sprinkle some warm water and cook, set aside.
3. Fry capsicum on a high flame till it is partially cooked. Set aside
4. Fry the rest of the vegetables till they are almost cooked, set aside. Alternately can use cooked vegetables.
5. Heat a pan with oil, add cumin and curry leaves allow them to splutter.
6. Add onion paste, fry till the onion paste turns golden. It takes for about 2 to 3 mins.
7. Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies, fry to get an aroma.
8. Add gram masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder and red chilli powder, sauté for a min.
9. Add tomato puree and fry till the mixture becomes thick.
10. Add curd and gently mix well.
11. Add the cashew and water melon seeds paste and fry to get an aroma for a min.
12. Pour ½ to 1 cup of water, salt and bring it to a boil.
13. Add the fried vegetables, allow the vegetables to blend well in this mix. Cover & cook for 2 mins.
14. Layer the cooked rice.
15. Top the fried capsicum.
16. Add coriander leaves.
17. Sprinkle some mint juice, saffron milk.
18. Add the cashews.
19. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 mins on a low flame, take care not to burn the biryani.
Ready to serve with raita.